Everyone knows that dogs are man’s best friend but it isn’t always friendly. First of all, dogs are animals with animal instincts, and even a friendly one can attack a human if something goes wrong.
At Viral Inspiral, we’ve learned all about what you should do if a stray dog attacks you. These simple rules will help you to avoid harmful consequences.
If a dog doesn’t attack but acts aggressively
Dog body language can say a lot. If its ears are held tightly pressed back and it appears to be growling, it’s better to stay away from it and walk away as far as possible as not to provoke an attack. But what should you do if this doesn’t work out?
- Don’t try to calm the dog down or smile at it. An animal perceives a smile differently than humans do. A smile means friendliness and joy for a human, but for a dog, it means that you’re baring your teeth and are challenging it.
- Avoid direct eye contact and ignore the dog. Eventually, it will stop paying attention to you and will relax. Put simply, the more you show your anxiety and swing your arms, the more likely the dog will attack you.
- If there’s someone around, ask for help. But do it softly and don’t raise your voice.
- Don’t swing a stick at the dog or use pepper spray. This can make the dog even more aggressive. Even a friendly pup won’t be happy if you start swinging your arms or throw a stick at it.
- Retreat slowly, but don’t turn your back to the dog. It’s better to move away with your side to the dog so that you can see its reaction. Don’t try to run! The dog will chase you and you can’t outrun a dog — they can charge faster than an Olympic sprinter!